What To Do In A Home Emergency Until Help Arrives
Home emergencies are unexpected. If you’re in the midst of a water, fire, or smoke disaster, know that ServiceMaster EMT will be there when you call 800-376-6678. In the meantime, here are some ways to mitigate the damage yourself.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, use dehumidifiers if available.
- Use fans to circulate the air and assist drying.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe furniture dry.
- Lift draperies off carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks or aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- Open furniture drawers, closet doors, and luggage to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings, art objects and firearms to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread out to dry.
- If damage occurs during a cool season, leave heat on; if in summer, use an air conditioner if available.
- Do not use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet incorrectly could promote shrinkage.
- Do not wait to call for professional help. Damage from the water and bacteria growth can begin within hours.
Contact Us Today
Our Services Include
- Water damage
- Fire and smoke damage
- Toxic mold removal
- Residential restoration
- Commercial restoration
- Emergency service
Why Choose Us
- 24/7 Emergency Service
- Direct Billing to Insurance
- Free Disaster Estimates
- Certified Technicians
- Professional & Dedicated Staff
- Complete Start to Finish Restoration
- No Job to Big or Too Small