Important Fire Damage Tips
Take action before it’s too late
The moments after a fire can cause confusion. Read these fire damage tips and learn the steps you need to take to prevent further damage to your home.
Important warnings on smoke and fire damage:
- Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting your professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures could compound the soot residue problem.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked. They could malfunction.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.
- Do not touch anything. Soot on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing further damage.
- Do not eat food that has been exposed to fire or smoke.
- Do not wait to call for professional help.
What to do if you have smoke / fire damage:
- Blow off or brush-vacuum any loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets.
- Cover carpeted traffic areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional soiling.
- Discard open food packages. The food could be contaminated.
- If electrical service is off, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open or place charcoal in the unit.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified professional dry cleaner that specializes in smoke damage.
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing.
- Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Wipe the leaves of houseplants to remove smoke residue.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air. This is even more effective if the cheesecloth is damp.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
Contact Us Today
Our Services Include
- Water damage
- Fire and smoke damage
- Toxic mold removal
- Residential restoration
- Commercial restoration
- Emergency service
Why Choose Us
- 24/7 Emergency Service
- Direct Billing to Insurance
- Free Disaster Estimates
- Certified Technicians
- Professional & Dedicated Staff
- Complete Start to Finish Restoration
- No Job to Big or Too Small